Sunday 18 September 2022

Dickie's Diary - Leaving Cues


Hello fellow pup-stars - Dickie Hill back again. I'm sure you've heard about how busy things are around here with all sorts of comings and goings. I don't think I've ever seen mum rushing around so much. Despite all that practice she's still not as quick as me, although I am super quick, and I don't think any hooman could ever be as fast as me.

No matter how busy she is - there's always some learning to do. Here she's playing... Well let's say that teaching is the truth of it - I'm almost a big dog now so I know what's really going on, but as there's usually tasty treats involved I don't mind. They're also fun (most of the time) so it's like playing if you think about it. See I'm cleverer, as well as bigger!

Anyway the game today is leaving queues which seems silly because I know all about queues. You sit and wait. Boring really, unless the queue is somewhere cool with exciting smells and hoomans to watch.

Apparently it's cues, not queues. Hoomans can be silly - why say the same thing if they mean something different. It's a strange game this one, and I've discovered that mum can do magic! Look how the chicken disappears and then re-appears as if by magic. She might not be as swift as me, but she's very clever. But so am I! Anyway, I best get focused, I only get the chimkin if I figure out what she wants. Bye for now and see all of you pup-stars again soon 🐾🐾🐾

And for those of you not as smart as me, mum says that this is what she's doing:

"Teaching Dickie to “leave it”. There is no point giving him the cue if he doesn’t understand what it means. So we teach him the behaviour and then tell him what he's doing. There's no shouting, no rush and definitely no fuss. He makes the choice. If he “leaves it” then he receives the treat. If he tries to take it or paw for it the chicken becomes unavailable. Once he learns the behaviour, as he backs off we will add the cue “leave it” then gradually start giving the cue sooner in the exercise, and ultimately this will also help with impulse control."

Mum also says that some of the new dogs that came in need our help. I will save them each a nice treat. Maybe... You hoomans can help here if you're able to!

https://gofund.me/0ff1f35b

No comments:

Post a Comment