Wednesday 6 July 2022

Elda's Updates Return

After a temporary pause in posting updates while some other work was being completed, we're pleased to resume them. This update dates from a few weeks ago, and we're going to catch up with the next few updates,  and then we're back to normal.

-

The lovely Elda is coming on in leaps and bounds. This is from my perspective and they might not seem overly dramatic they are all positive steps for her well-being. After four weeks I’m still not attempting to touch her. It's important that I remain mindful of my behaviour around her so as not to frighten her. It's all too easy to lose progress by pushing a dog too hard.

Sometimes people consider basic command training a way of measuring progress with rehabilitation work. I’ve not even attempted to put a lead on her. So why do I think she has come on in leaps and bounds? Elda's body language is much softer. She's now asking to interact with me. She is playing with toys, and communicating in ways other than barking - which has also lessened. Her emotional state is changing. Does she trust me? Not yet, and it would be surprising if she did. Four weeks of care does not wipe away the trauma she's experienced.

Of course I want to cuddle her and tell her it will be all be alright. I'd love to take her for long walks, and to allow her to catch up on what she missed these past two years. But that’s what I want. Not what Elda wants - yet.

Debbie Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment