Tuesday 12 April 2022

Dickie's Diary - Meeting Small Hoomans


Hello fellow pupstars! Dickie Hill back again with another of my recent adventures. Whilst walking with mum, we met a lady with a pup. Apparently hooman pups are called 'children'. They have a really interesting scent to them. It makes me want to roll around in it, but also a little bit icky.

The child noticed me and became so excited that my mum stopped and asked if it would be ok to say hello. She explained that we don’t get many child visitors to our house and I need to feel comfortable around children. I realised that mum had spotted another life skill learning opportunity. The big words in that phrase no longer worried me as they once did. I'd learned that being a clever boy usually resulted in delicious treats.

They replied, and stated that they'd love to say hello to me. Who could blame them? My mum told them they could only fuss me if I had “Four on the floor” and that they had to wait for me to go to them. She gave me the cue to say hello and waited for my response. 

Of course I went straight over for a fuss. I think she worries too much but apparently some pups can be a little overwhelmed meeting new people. She forgets that not only am I clever, but also a very brave boy. Naturally I did get a bit excited at one point and so technically all four feet weren't on the floor at the same time. Of course mum noticed straight away and told the two strangers to stop fussing me, 

It seemed a bit unfair to me, but as soon as I settled, the proper attention to me resumed. The lady said she didn’t mind if I jumped up, but my mum explained that when I've grown to a 40 kg dog it won’t be so cute. So I had to learn the correct behaviour now and do so before I grew into a big dog - I think I'm going to be the biggest dog, as well as the fastest. 

After receiving a good fuss my mum called me to her and I ran straight to her. Apparently this was good because I got a treat. We continued our walk and with my mum making the click sound and rewarding me with treats again. Along the way, we encountered We saw a big dog, but I was very brave and just walked past.  

Another cool change is having to wear a  big dog harness when out walking! It's not just any harness though. It has to be a Y neck one with a clip on the chest and one on the back. The Y neck ensures that my movement wouldn't be restricted. While in the pet shop I saw a big boy's collar with studs which looked super cool and I thought would make me look grown up. My mum said that a collar like that could press on important and fragile parts of my neck. It didn't seem so cool after I thought about that.

I'm feeling rather tired now after all that walking, and a superhero needs their  power nap. Lots of love Dickie 🐾🐾🐾

No comments:

Post a Comment