Wednesday 20 April 2022

Elda's Progress in 'Baby' Steps


Elda continues to make progress at her own pace, and is looking “softer”, but there's still a ways to go. When I say ”progress”, I don't mean that she's running up for a fuss, and I haven’t attempted to touch her. However, she didn’t bark at me this morning as I let her out. 
In fact, she ran by me to get in the run. Until now, she's waited for me to leave  before venturing out. She still does a really sad cry., but also enjoys her enrichment activities. These have to be kept simple as it appears she's never been taught how to interact with them. Lickie mats are obviously easy but I have to put the treats on top of the snuffle mat. If you hide it she doesn’t seem to grasp it. Kongs she gets the bits that are easy access and doesn’t seem to know how to navigate the insides. She loves food so it’s not that she isn’t motivated by it. 

I honestly think it's because she’s so shut down, a not unexpected response to how she's been forced to live for past two years.
 
Use of the clicker, and tossing the treats away gives her the choice to come back. Again we move at her pace, allow her develop her confidence, and how she responds.

This morning I remained outside the run, and she responded well by coming closer to investigate. Being careful not to present my hand, I offered the tube of tasty treats and again responded well by investigating and taking some treats.

The fact that she doesn't advance, but backs away usually means that she should be easier to work with. It’s heartbreaking to see her so confused, and unsure, but it's still early days and we'll get there with baby steps. 


Debbie Hill
GSD Welfare Fund Chairman

No comments:

Post a Comment